Universe Not "Billions of Years Old"
Facts / Proof From Science
The Bible teaching is as follows: God created the universe about 6000 years ago. This creation was ex nihilo (out of nothing) in six literal, twenty-four-hour days. Then, about 4400 years ago, the earth was destroyed by a worldwide Flood. This devastating, year-long Flood was responsible for the sediment layers being deposited (the water was going and returning, Gen. 8:3-5).
As the mountains rose and the oceans sank in after the Flood (Psalm 104:5-8, Gen. 8:1), the waters rushed off the rising mountains into the new ocean basins. This rapid-erosion topography we still see today, in places like the Grand Canyon. The uniformitarian assumption that today's slow erosion rates that take place through solid rock are the same as has always been, is faulty logic, and ignores catastrophes like the Flood. (2 Pet. 3:3-8 says the scoffers are "willingly ignorant" of the Flood.)
Listed below are some of the factors from various branches of science that limit the age of the universe (and the earth) to within the last few thousand years. Though it cannot be scientifically proven exactly when the universe was created, its age can be limited easily to within a few thousand years. Each of the following evidences of a young earth is described in great detail in the books referred to at the end of this section. (Anyone wanting more information should consult these sources: see page 42.) Source number and page number are given for the following statements.
Evidence From Space
1. The, shrinking sun limits the earth-sun relationship to less than "millions of years." The sun is losing both mass and diameter. Changing the mass would upset the fine gravitational balance that keeps the earth just the right distance for life to survive. (1, p. 169; 2, p. 30; 4, pp. 56-63; 5, p. 26; 6, p. 43; 7)
2. The small layer of cosmic dust on the moon indicates less than 10,000 years of accumulation. (2, p. 26; 3, p. 22; 4, p. 15; 6, p 35; 7; 9, p. 25)
3. The existence of short-period comets indicates the universe is less than 10,000 years old. (2 p. 31;3, p. 27; 4, p. 35; 6, p. 37)
4. Fossil meteorites are very rare in layers other than the top layers of the earth. This indicates that the layers were not exposed for millions of years as is currently being taught in school textbooks. (4, p. 26)
5. The moon is receding a few inches each year. A few million years ago the moon would have been so close that the tides would have destroyed the earth twice a day. (3, p. 25; 6, p. 43; 7)
6. The moon contains considerable quantities of U-236 and Th-230, both short-lived isotopes that would have been long gone if the moon were billions of years old. (8, p. 177; see also 4, p. 51, for information on rock "flow")
7. The existence of great quantities of space dust , which by the Pointing-Robertson effect would have been vacuumed out of our solar system in a few thousand years, indicates the solar system is young. (3, p. 29; 6, p. 44)
8. At the rate many star clusters are expanding, they could not have been traveling for more than a few thousand years. (3, p. 29; 4, pp. 30 and 59; 6, p. 44)
9. Saturn's rings are still unstable, indicating they are not millions of years old. (4, p. 45)
10. Jupiter and Saturn are cooling off rather rapidly. They are losing heat twice as fast as they gain it from the sun. They cannot be billions of years old. (5, p. 26; 4, p. 43; Jupiter's moon "Io" is losing matter to Jupiter. It cannot be billions of years old. (4, p. 3)
11. It appears that the stars in the centers of many galaxies are moving faster than the stars at the outer edges. This would make the galaxies lose their spiral shape and spin into a homogenous mass if they were billions of years old. (7) Among other factors to consider, one is that all the ancient astronomers from 2000 years ago recorded that Sirius was a red star—today it is a white dwarf star. Obviously this view needs to be restudied, with the textbooks in astronomy stating one hundred thousand years are required for a star to "evolve" from a red giant to a white dwarf.
Evidence from Earth
12. The decaying magnetic field limits earth's age to less than 25,000. (1, p. 157;2, p. 27; 3, p. 20; 5, p. 23; 6, p. 42; 9, p. 25; 10, p. 38)
13. The volume of lava on earth divided by its rate of efflux gives a number of only a few million years, not billions. I believe that during the Flood, while "the fountains of the deep were broken up," most of the earth's lava was deposited rapidly. (1, p. 156)
14. Dividing the amount of various minerals in the ocean by their influx rate gives only a few thousand years of accumulation. (1, p. 153, 5, p. 24; 6, p. 42)
15. The amount of Helium 4 in the atmosphere, divided by the formation rate on earth, gives only 175,000 years. (God may have created the earth with some helium here which would reduce the age more.) (1, p. 151; 6, p. 42; 9, p. 25)
16. The erosion rate of the continents is such that they would erode to sea level in less than 14,000,000 years (destroying all old fossils). (2, p. 31; 6, p 38)
17. Topsoil formation rates indicate only a few thousand years of formation. (6, p. 38)
18. Niagara Falls's erosion rate (four to five feet per year) indicates an age of less than 10,000 years. Don't forget Noah's Flood could have eroded half of the seven-mile-long Niagara River gorge in a few hours as the flood waters receded through the soft sediments.) (6, p. 39; 7)
19. Incredible pressure found in oil and gas wells indicates they have been there less than 15,000 years. (2, p. 32; 3, p. 24; 5, p. 24; 6, p. 37; 7)
20. The size of the Mississippi River delta, divided by the rate mud is being deposited, gives an age of less than 30,000 years. (The Flood in Noah's day could have washed 80% of the mud out there in a few hours or days, so 4400 years is a reasonable age for the delta to form.) (3, p. 23; 6, p. 38; 7)
21. The slowing spin of the earth limits its age to less than the "billions of years" called for by the theory of evolution. (3, p. 25; 7)
22. Only a small amount of sediment is now on the ocean floor, indicating only a few thousand years of accumulation. This embarrassing fact explains why the continental drift theory is vitally important to those who worship evolution. (1, p. 155; 6, p. 28; 7)
23. The largest stalactites and flowstone formations in the world could have formed in about 4400 years. (5, p. 27; 6, p. 39; 7)
24. The Sahara desert is expanding. It could easily be formed in a few thousand years. See any earth science textbook.
25. The oceans are getting saltier. If they were billions of years old, they would be much saltier than they are now. (7; 9, p. 26; 10, p. 37)
Evidence from Biology
26. The current population of earth (5.5 billion souls) could easily be generated from eight people (survivors of the Flood) in less than 4000 years. (1, p. 167; 3, p. 27; 6, p. 41;7)
27. The oldest coral reef is about 4200 years old. (6, p. 39; 7)
28. The oldest living tree in the world is 4300 years old. (6,
p. 40; 7)
Another factor to consider: The genetic load in man is increasing. Geneticists have cataloged nearly 1300 genetic disorders in the human race. It is certainly reasonable to believe that the human race was created perfect from the hand of the Creator but has been going downhill as a result of our disobedience to the laws established by the Creator. The Bible teaches that we live in a sin-cursed world as a result of Adam's sin.
Evidence from History
29. The oldest known historical records are less than 6000 years old. (1, p. 160)
30. Many ancient cultures have stories of an original creation in the recent past and a worldwide Flood. Over 250 of these Flood legends are now known.
31. Biblical dates add up to about 6000 years. (7)
The following list of Bible verses tell when "the beginning"
was. · In the beginning God created the heaven and the
earth. (Gen. 1:1)
· Moses because of the hardness of your hearts permitted you to put away your wives: but from the beginning it was not so. (Mt. 19:8)
· But from the beginning of the creation God made them male and female. (Mk. 10:6)
· In the beginning was the Word and the Word was with God and the Word was God. (Jn. 1:1)
· That which was from the beginning...which we have seen with our eyes... and our hands have handled, of the Word of life. (1 John. 1:1)
· He that committeth sin is of the devil; for the devil sinneth from the beginning. (1 Jn. 3:8)
· For then shall great tribulation, such as was not since the beginning of the world to this time.... (Mt. 24:21)
· Ye are of your father the devil...he was a murderer from the beginning. (Jn. 8:44)
· That the blood of all the prophets, which was shed from the foundation of the world, may be required of this generation; from the blood of Abel...." (Lk. 11:50, 51)
· And, Thou, Lord, in the beginning hast laid the foundation of the earth.... (Heb. 1:10)
· For in six days the Lord made heaven and the earth, the sea, and all that in them is.... (Ex. 20:11)
· Since the fathers fell asleep, all things continue as they were from the beginning of the creation.... (2 Pet. 3:4)
· The works were finished from the foundation of the world. For... God did rest the seventh day from all his works. (Heb. 4:3, 4)
· For in those days shall be affliction, such as was not from the beginning of the creation which God created to this time.... (Mk. 13:19)
· Have ye not known? Have ye not heard? Hath it not been told you from the beginning? Have ye not under stood from the foundations of the earth? (Is. 40:21)
· Who hath wrought and done it, calling the generations from the beginning? I the Lord...am he. (Is. 41:4)
· Have ye not read, that he which made them at the beginning made them male and female? (Mt. 19:4)
· For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made.... (Ro. 1:20)
Those who believe the earth is billions of years old will typically try to discredit one or two of these evidences and then mistakenly think that they have successfully proven the entire list wrong. This is not logical of course. Each evidence stands independently and it only takes one to prove the earth is young. The burden of proof is on the evolutionists if they expect all taxpayers to fund the teaching of their religion in the school system. Many who believe in evolution are great at "straining at a gnat, and swallowing a camel" (Mt. 23:24).
Evolutionists love to assume uniformitarian processes. Many of the preceding evidences follow the same logic evolutionists use all the time in dealing with carbon-dating, strata formation, genetic drift, etc.Going Up?^
There's more below, keep reading
Sources1 Morris, Henry M. Scientific Creationism. El Cajon, Calif.: Master Books, April 1985.
2 McLean, G. S.; McLean, Larry; Oakland, Roger. The Bible Key to Understanding the Early Earth. Oklahoma City, Okla.: Southwest Radio Church, 1987.
3 Huse, Scott M. The Collapse of Evolution. Grand Rapids, Mich.: Baker Book House, 1983.
4 Ackerman, Paul D. It's a young World After All. Grand Rapids, Mich.: Baker Book House, 1986.
5 Blick, Edward F. A Scientific Analysis of Genesis. Oklahoma City, Okla.: Hearthstone Publ. Ltd., 1991.
6 Petersen, Dennis R. Unlocking the Mysteries of Creation. South Lake Tahoe, Calif.: Christian Equippers International, 1987.
7 Hovind, Kent E. Creation Seminar, Parts 1-6 (most items referenced onscreen—available from Creation Science Evangelism, 29 Cummings Road, Pensacola, Fla. 32503).
8 Wysong, R. L. The Creation-Evolution Controversy. Midland, Mich.: Inquiry Press, 1976.
9 Balker Sylvia. Bone of Contention. Creation Science Foundation Ltd., Sunnybank, Queensland 4109 Australia: 1990.
10 Moore, John N. Questions and answers on Creation-Evolution. Grand Rapids, Mich.: Baker Book House, 1977.
Points to Ponder
The Great Flood and Noah's Ark
2 Pet. 3:5-8 tells us that people who scoff at the Bible are
"willingly ignorant" of the Creation and the Flood. In order to
understand science and the Bible, we must not be ignorant of
those two great events in Earth's history.
1. Over 250 Flood legends from all parts of the world have been found. Most have similarities to the Genesis story.
2. Noah's ark was only built to float, not to sail anywhere. Many ark scholars believe that the ark was a "barge" shape, not a pointed "boat" shape. This would greatly increase the cargo capacity.
3. Even using the small 18-inch cubit (my height is 6-ft. 1-in. and have a 21-in. cubit) the ark was large enough to hold all the required animals, people, and food with room to spare.
4. The length-to-width ratio of 6 to 1 is what shipbuilders today often use. This is the best ratio for stability in stormy weather. (God thinks of everything!)
5. The ark may have had a "moon-pool" (sometimes called moon-pull) in the center. The larger ships would have a hole in the center of the bottom of the boat with walls extending up into the ship. There are several reasons for this feature.
a. It allowed water to go up into the hole as the ship crested waves. This would be needed to relieve strain on longer ships.
b. The rising and lowering water acted as a piston to pump fresh air in and out of the ship. This would prevent the buildup of dangerous gasses from all the animals on board.
c. The hole was a great place to dump garbage into the ocean without going outside.
6. The ark may have had large stones suspended over the sides to keep it more stable in rough weather. Many of these stones have been found in the region where the ark landed.
7. Noah lived 950 years! Many Bible scholars believe the pre-flood people were much larger than modern man. Skeletons over 11 feet tall have been found! If Noah were taller, his cubit (elbow to fingertip) would have been much larger also. This would make the ark larger by the same ratio.
8. God told Noah to bring two of each kind, not of each species or variety. Noah only had two of the dog kind which would include the wolves, coyotes, foxes, mutts, etc. The kind grouping is probably closer to our modern family division in taxonomy. This would greatly reduce the number of animals on the ark. Animals have diversified into many varieties in the last 4400 years since the Flood. This is not anything similar to great claims that the evolutionists teach. (They teach that "kelp can turn into Kent;" given enough time!)
9. Noah did not have to get the animals. God brought them to him (Gen. 6:20, "shall come to thee").
10. Only land-dwelling, air-breathing animals had to be included on the ark (Gen. 7:15, "in which is the breath of life").
11. Many animals sleep, hibernate, or become very inactive during bad weather.
12. All animals (and people) were vegetarians before and during the Flood according to Gen. 1:2030 with Gen. 9:3.
13. The pre-Flood people were probably much smarter and more advanced than people today. The longer lifespans, Adam's direct contact with God, and the fact that they could glean the wisdom of many generations that were still alive would greatly expand their knowledge base.
14. The Bible says that the highest mountains were covered by 15 cubits of water. This is half the height of the ark. The ark was safe from scraping bottom at all times.
15. The mountains, as we have them today, did not exist until after the Flood when "the mountains arose and the valleys sank down" (Ps. 104:5-9, Gen. 8:3-8).
16. There is enough water in the oceans right now to cover the earth 8,000 feet deep if the surface of the earth were smooth.
17.Many claim to have seen the ark in recent times in the area the Bible says it landed. There are two primary schools of thought about the actual site of the ark (see my Creation Seminar Part 2 video for more on this.) Much energy and time has been expended to try to prove each view. Some believe the ark is on Mt. Ararat, covered by snow (CBS showed a one-hour special in 1993 about this site). The other group believes the ark is 17 miles south of Mt. Ararat in a valley called "the valley of eight" (8 souls on the ark). The Bible says the ark landed in the "moun-tains" of Ararat, not necessarily on the mountain itself.
18. The continents were not separated until 100-300 years after the Flood (Gen. 10:25). The people and animals had time to migrate anywhere on earth by then.
19. The top 3000 feet of Mt. Everest (from 26,000-29,000 feet) is made up of sedimentary rock packed with seashells and other ocean-dwelling animals.
20. Sedimentary rock is found all over the world. Sedimentary rock is laid down in water.
21. Petrified clams in the closed position (found all over the world) testify to their rapid burial while they were still alive.
22. Bent rock layers, fossil graveyards, and poly-strata fossils are best explained by a Flood.
23. People choose to not believe in the Flood because it speaks of the judgment of God on sin (2 Pet. 3:3-8).
What did our Forefathers Think?
Extra biblical information is now available confirming our knowledge of God's time line for man.
Edward Gibbon who wrote Decline & Fall of an Empire in 1776, studied all early church fathers and all taught this time line. It can even be traced back to a friend of the Apostle John, Papea, who was martyred in 130 A.D.
Because he had to deal with the controversies of Plato, Cicero, and the Chaldeans, Lactantius, an apologist and historian, who wrote Divine Institutions in 300 A.D. Chapter 14 states: (A 7 volume masterpiece)
"But we, whom the Holy Scriptures instructs to the knowledge of the truth, know the beginning and the end of the world (age), respecting which we will now speak in the end of our work... Therefore let the philosophers who enumerate thousands of ages from the beginning of the world, know that the six thousandth year is not yet completed, and that when this number is completed the consummation must take place. All wickedness abolished; and justice should reign for 1000 years."
Irenaeus who wrote "Against Heresies", a commentary on Genesis in A.D. 150 states this as a belief of the early church:
"This is an account of the things formerly created, and also a prophecy of what is to come. For the day of the Lord is as a thousand years: and in 6 days created things were completed; it is evident therefore that they will come to an end at the completion of 6 thousand years".
The Epistle of Barnabas
15. Furthermore, concerning the Sabbath it is also written, in the "Ten Words" which he spoke to Moses face to face on Mount Sinai: "And sanctify the Lord's Sabbath, with clean hands and a clean heart." 126 (2) And in another place he says: "If my sons guard the Sabbath, then I will bestow my mercy upon them." 127 (3) He speaks of the Sabbath at the beginning of the creation: "And God made the works of his hands in six days, and finished on the seventh day, and rested on it, and sanctified it." 128 (4) Observe children "what he finished in six days" means. It means this: that in six thousand years the Lord will bring everything to an end, for with him a day signifies a thousand years. And he himself bears me witness when he says "Behold the day of the Lord will be as a thousand years." 129 Therefore, children, in six days-that is, in six thousand years—everything will be brought to an end (5) "and he rested on the seventh day. This means: when his Son comes, he will :destroy the time of the lawless one 130 and will judge the ungodly and will change the sun and the moon and the stars, and then he will truly rest on the seventh day.
Ref: Our Apostolic Fathers: Barnabas- Student of Paul
Rabbi Ketina said in Book of Gemara ( a Jewish commentary on the Talmud) "as out of seven years every seventh is a year of remission -
Lev. 25:3-4 So out of the seven thousand years of the world, the seventh millennium shall be the millennial years of Remission"
Surprisingly, even in 1552 the Bishop of Worcester, Latimer (who was burned at the stake in 1553 for refusing to accept Roman Catholic doctrine on the Mass) states: "The world was ordained to endure as all learned men affirm, 6000 years. Now of that number, there be passed 5,552 years, so that there is no more left but 448 years" =2000 A.D.
Rabbi Elias in 200 B.C. A believer in a coming Messiah
"The world endures 6000 years 2000 before Law, 2000 under Law, 2000 under Messiah."
Ref: "The Sacred Theory of The Earth" pg. 408
Other writings can be produced from other church fathers including Victorinus, Bishop of Petau, Hippolytus, and Justin Martyr who believed that the Millennium would commence upon the completion of 6000 years from Adam.
I understand even others during the Reformation period who were a remnant (God always has His remnant that understands deeper Biblical truths and its no different today) indicated that the time of the "last days" would occur around the year 2000 A.D.
One of the oldest books in Grant Jeffrey's library is the chronology on the Old and New Testament, written by Archbishop Ussher in 1650 A.D. in Latin. Ussher, who had access to many ancient church manuscripts, which were tragically lost in the burning of early Irish churches during Irish wars, calculated the start of the Millennium in 1997 A.D. assuming Jesus' birth was 4 B.C.. If he had calculated 1 B.C. which is what we recently have uncovered, and what early church fathers claimed, He would have therefore placed the date in A.D. 2000.
Jesus' return for His church does depend on His birth.
Hosea 6:2 says He'll return in 2 (2000 years) days.Going Up?^
Let's look at it closely.
Titles of the Day of the Lord
- The Day of the Lord of Hosts
- Isaiah 2.12
- The Day of Punishment
- Isaiah 10.3 (Visitation)
- The Day of the Lord
- Isaiah 13.6;
- Amos 5.8,10
- Ezekiel 13.5; 30.3
- Zephaniah 1.7,14
- Joel 2.1,11; 3.14 (4.14)
- II Peter 3.10
- The Day of His Fierce Anger.
- Isaiah 13.13;
- Lamen. 1.12
- The Day of the Lord Gives You Rest
- Isaiah 14.3
- The Day of Grief and Desperate Sorrow
- Isaiah 17.11
- A Day of Trouble
- Isaiah 22.5
- Ezekiel 7.7
- The Day of the East Wind
- Isaiah 27.8
- The Day of the Great Slaughter
- Isaiah 30.25
- The Day of the Lord's Vengeance
- Isaiah 34.8
- The Day of Trouble and Rebuke, and Blasphemy
- Isaiah 37.3
- The Day of Salvation
- Isaiah 49.8
- The Day of Vengeance of Our God
- Isaiah 61.2
- The Day of Vengeance
- Isaiah 63.4
- The Day of Slaughter
- Jeremiah 12.3
- The Day of Affliction
- Jeremiah 16.19
- The Day of Doom
- Jeremiah 17,17-18 (Evil)
- Jeremiah 51.2 (Trouble)
- Amos 6.3 (Evil)
- Job 21.30 (Destruction)
- The Day of Their Calamity
- Jeremiah 18.17; 46.21
- Deuteronomy 32.25
- The Day of the Lord God of Hosts
- Jeremiah 46.10
- The Day of Vengeance
- Jeremiah 46.10
- The Day You Have Announced
- Lamentations 1.21
- The Day of His Anger
- Lamentations 2.21
- The Day we Have Waited For
- Lamentations 2.16
- The Day of Your Anger
- Lamentations 2.21
- The Day of the Lords Anger
- Lamentations 2.22
- Zephaniah 2.2,3
- Behold, the Day
- Ezekiel 7.10
- The Day of The Wrath of the Lord
- Ezekiel 7.19
- The Day
- Heb 10.25;
- Ezekiel 30.2,3
- Joel 1.15; Malachi 4.1
- I Corinthians 3.13
- A Day of Clouds
- Ezekiel 30.3
- The Day of Egypt
- Ezekiel 30.9
- The Day of Your Fall
- Ezekiel 32.10
- The Day That I Am Glorified
- Ezekiel 39.13
- The Day of Jezreel
- Hosea 1.11
- The Day of Rebuke
- Hosea 5.9
- The Day of Our King
- Hosea 7.5
- The Appointed Day
- Hosea 9.5
- The Great and Dreadful Day of the Lord
- Malachi 4.5
- The Day of Judgement
- Matthew 10.15;11.24;12.36
- Mark 6.11;
- II Peter 2.9
- I John 4.17
- The Son of Man will Be In His Day
- Luke 17.24
- The Day When the Son of Man is Revealed
- Luke 17.30
- The Great and Notable Day of the Lord
- Acts 2.20
- The Day of Wrath and Revelation of the Righteous Judgement
- Romans 2.5
- The Day of Our Lord Yeshua Ha Mashiach
- I Corinthians 1.8
- The Day of the Lord Yeshua
- II Corinthians 1.14
- The Day of Redemption
- The Day of Messiah
- Philippians 1.10;2.16
- The Day of Yeshua Ha Mashiach
- Philippians 1.6
- The Day of Judgement and Perdition of Ungodly men
- II Peter 3.7
- The Day of God
- II Peter 3.12
- The Judgement of the Great Day
- Jude 6
- The Great Day of His Wrath
- Revelations 6.17
- The Great Day of God Almighty
- Revelations 16.14
- The Day of My Calamity
- II Samuel 22.19
- The Day of His Wrath
- Job 20.8;
- Psalm 110.5
- The Day of Wrath
- Job 21.30;
- Proverbs 11.30
- The Day of Battle and War
- Job 38.23
- The Day of My Trouble
- Psalms 77.2; 86.7; 102.2
- The Day of Your Power
- Psalms 110.2
- The Day of Adversity
- Proverbs 20.10
- The Day When the Keepers of the House Tremble
- Ecclesiasties 12.3
- The Day of His Espousals
- Song of Solomon 3.11
- The Day of Gladness of His Heart
- Song of Solomon 3.11
- The Day on Which He Will Judge the World in Righteousness By
Whom He Had Ordained
- Acts 17.31
- The Last Day
- Acts 17.31
- The Day the Lord Binds Up the Bruises of His People
- Isaish 30.26(Days)